Wednesday 28 May 2008

Energisers enable social movements

I'm in the fortunate position that I can usually choose who I work with which means when I encounter someone who starts to sap my energy, someone who manages to de-energise a group, then I choose to walk away. These are the people who go through working life discovering the problems, the roadblocks, pointing out the pitfalls, relishing in the cloudy skies - well, they don't encourage me to take on new behaviours - unless it's the one to walk away.

On the other hand, you may also have experienced what it's like to be in the same room as someone with a sunny disposition. I'm not referring to the eternal optimist as this person can be a bit tiring. I'm remembering those individuals who make time to be with people, who will be present at the meeting in more than body. They put their Blackberry's to one side and listen in, engaging with the conversation and finding positive and helpful ways to facilitate the discussion.

These same individuals often seem quite purposeful. They are task focused yet approach these activities with a care and compassion for others. If they disagree, they keep focused on disagreeing with the topic in hand and not attacking the person behind it. They keep communicating, even when the chips are down, addressing tough issues with integrity and sincerity. When I work with these individuals they help me gain meaning about the issues we're grappling with, while directing me, and others, towards an goal.

I hear a lot about the need for social movements in healthcare. There are some complicated frameworks and messages about hwo they get implemented. For me, it's all about the positive energy of those involved.

Are you energising or de-energising those around you?

Creative Commons 2008 Sarah Fraser Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative

No comments: